I arrived in London on Friday morning, a mixture of anxiety and excitement running through my veins, not knowing what to expect. I went to London about five years ago, but it was a short visit, not nearly long enough to experience all that this amazing city has to offer, and completely different from my current trip to London.
I embarked on this journey older, maybe a little wiser, and completely unaware of what was to come in the four weeks I would be living in London. Going into the trip, I didn't know anyone and was going completely on my own. A very scary thought for someone who hasn't been away from home for more than a week. When the plane dropped its' altitude to prepare for landing, the city came into view from the clouds and I looked down at the city I have loved for five years and my nerves calmed, replaced by giddy anticipation. True, I still had no idea what was to come but somehow it didn't matter anymore because I was in London, completely by the hand of God, and I was meant to be here, to have this experience.
Once I was able to meet people from the program who where here for the same reasons as I was, it became real. The first person I met was Allison, my flight buddy, who is in the business program. Together we navigated the airport and found our way to the guy in the dark sunglasses holding up a sign that read "British Studies Program". We loaded up onto a bus, or coach as we were corrected, and headed towards the dorms. Once there, I met people from my group and we went on a little walking tour of the streets around our dorm. We ended up having wonderful gourmet pizza at a little shop on the south bank of the Thames River.
That night a bought of homesickness hit me pretty hard. I missed my family and my cat, Mia. I missed my bed and my favorite pillow. I missed my bathroom complete with shower curtain and a sink with warm and cold water from the same faucet. I missed everything about home and my comfort zone. But I took a deep breath, told myself I could do this, and tried to fall asleep. The next morning I woke up feeling better and refreshed (I had been on three planes with maybe 4 hours of sleep the day before). I was able to get a key card to the computer lab to make contact with my family, making it a little easier to be so far away from them. Things quickly took a turn for the worse. We had our first London Alive tours that afternoon, but it started raining and it turned cold. Of course I was in the group that walked for 4 hours in the cold and rain. Fortunately I had an umbrella but it didn't do much for the frizz or keeping me warm. And if you know me, you know I don't like being out in the rain...ever! So it was very miserable and hard to enjoy the tour. So day three was not so great but I came to the realization that even at home I don't have good days all the time so why should Europe be any different?
So the first few days had rough spots here and there but I managed to get through them. There will be other days like where I'll wish I had stayed home, but I know I will make it through and learn something in the end.
Until next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Christina Frank is the most amazing young woman I have ever known. She has faced so many fears in her life, and right now she has stated, "I am not going to let fear keep me from experiencing one fantastic thing in my life on this Earth," and then she holds her head up, pushes her chest out, and steps into her fear only to find herself safely landing on the other side. She deserves to drink in this amazing experience and let it form her from an amazing young woman into an extraordinary human being. Drink in every day of this experience, honey and know that when it is over you will be enriched and still have a safe place to land.
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing, and I love you very much.
MOM