Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Day 5 - Barbican Lending Library


Today's event was a look through the Barbican Lending Library. Housed on the second floor of the Barbican Centre, it is the largest public library in the city. The Barbican was first built by Roman invaders and through the years has been home to thieves, Elizabethan "low life", and actors such as William Shakespeare. During World War II the Barbican Centre was destroyed by German bombs. It wasn't until 1952 that plans to rebuild began. The centre was opened 30 years later.
It was unlike any library I have ever seen before. It looked almost like a bookstore with books separated into crime, sports, medicine, history, mystery, romance, etc.
The music library was fascinating because it had biographies of composers and sheet music from operas and musicals. There was a piano in one corner where patrons could play from the sheet music. Many reference books were available to the music student or anyone interested in music. Cd's and DVDs are available to rent for a small fee but their collection is extensive. There were listening centers and computer stations for patrons to use.

Though my field of study and interest is not public librarianship, it was a fun experience to explore a library as big and unique as the Barbican. I love books and I love being around them and this was like paradise for me. I will definitely have to go back and get a better look at the collections. I might even get a library card.

Until next time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment