Monday, 20 July 2009

Day 9 - Stonehenge and Winchester




Sunday was a field trip day to Stonehenge and Winchester. Though I have seen Stonehenge before, I wanted to go for Winchester, as I've never been there before and it is the burial site of Jane Austen.
Winchester is by far the most adorable little town I have seen in England. Much like Stratford, the streets are not as crowded as London. First, Jessica and I had lunch at the Royal Oak, the oldest bar in England, with a couple helping out with the tour. After spending a leisurely lunch, Jessica and I made our way to the Winchester Cathedral.
The Winchester Cathedral was absolutely gorgeous with amazing stained glass windows and the longest nave in England. It was surreal to stand next to the tomb of Jane Austen and know her earthly body was encased a few feet away. Above, was a stained glass window dedicated to her and on the floor was a memorial plaque. Also in Winchester is the house where Jane lived her final years. It is a private residence so the public cannot visit, but it was nice to stand outside for a photo opt. Towards the end of our time in Winchester, we were able to go to the Great Hall and view King Arthur's Round Table.
After seeing the Round Table and taking a trek through underground castle ruins, everyone
loaded up on the coach and we headed back to London.
I enjoyed Winchester immensely and would love to go back someday and spend more time exploring the streets of what was once the capital of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment